Wednesday, November 10, 2010

New York City! Sumner Glimcher! USO!

I’ve been waiting for the festive photographs from our event in Manhattan at the onset of this tour. We centered our focus on the role of women who were a part of the WWII generation. We presented at the Women’s Republican Club in New York City in conjunction with contemporary USO performers. Pictures would capture this experience best but here we go.

Imagine an opulent, 1920s Manhattan parlour--painting of Mary Todd Lincoln in one corner, Betty Ford in the other. Velvety sofas and armchairs scattered about, a baby grand, a mantle, and all the right reddish tones.

In walks Sumner Glimcher.



He greets all the women with great affection and prepares to be the guest of honor.

Why did I ask Sumner Glimcher to tell a story at an event filled with USO performers and Republican (and non-Republican) women?

Well here was his response:

"Of course I will be there. I've always found women to be far more interesting than men."

Oh yes, and I knew this. I read part of Sumner's memoir before I interviewed him and he featured a new notable woman in each chapter--a nurse, a "lady of the night," a secretary who assisted him in the de-nazification of Germany.

Aside from Sumner Glimcher, we honored the stories of others--including USO performer Angel Adagio.










No comments:

Post a Comment